Criminal Defense Attorney in New York
Specializing in White Collar and Corporate Crime
• Ms. Brevetti, Criminal Defense Attorney in New York, is a native of New York City and a graduate of Barnard College of Columbia University and the Georgetown University Law Center
• She began her legal career as a prosecutor, and soon rose to become one of the top federal prosecutors in the United States Department of Justice, Organized Crime Strike Force; ultimately, DOJ officials in Washington DC, selected her to head that elite unit in Brooklyn, New York. Ms. Brevetti prosecuted and won the convictions of the bosses of NY organized crime families, the leadership of powerful unions, Wall Street bankers and financiers, business owners, and politicians. New York media recognized Ms. Brevetti as one of the toughest and most successful prosecuters in New York. One well-known mobster, later turned author, wrote in his biography that Ms. Brevetti was the one prosecuter he feared the most before his capture.
• After leaving government, Ms. Brevetti applied the same proven skills and work ethic to a highly successful 25-year career in a private criminal and civil law practice as the principalof her own firm and partner in a global law firm. Ms. Brevetti's experience spans the full spectrum of criminal and civil investigations and disputes. She has represented individual and corporate clients coming from a variety of employment and business sectors, in both criminal and civil matters ranging from trials and arbitrations to critical internal investigations to major fraud and corruption cases and from contract disputes and employment discrimination charges to SEC civil investigations and enforcement actions.
• Based upon her vast first-hand experience and exposure to many high profile matters confronted by her former clients, Ms. Brevetti is called upon to advise and assist individuals and businesses threatened by negative media events and crisis to develop appropriate and effective strategies, remedial actions, and public responses.
• Recently, Ms. Brevetti served as the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary of a New York Stock Exchange traded public company that operated throughout the US and internationally. As the Company’s Chief Legal Officer, Ms. Brevetti managed a department of experienced attorneys and para-professionals engaged in corporate and legal matters, including, for example, corporate governance, transactional deals, SEC filings, regulatory compliance, intellectual property rights, employment, and consumer laws worldwide. She managed over twenty outside law firms in the US and abroad retained by the Company to handle a broad spectrum of corporate legal matters, including class actions and regulatory compliance. The Company’s legal department under Ms. Brevetti’s leadership was recognized for its innovation and excellence by peers and media, including The Financial Times.
Honors, Recognition and Professional Association
• Ms. Brevetti has been recognized by various organizations and legal publications:
• Super Lawyer in the specialty of white-collar defense
• AV Preeminent rating- Martindale-Hubbell
• AV Preeminent rating in Securities Law — National Law Journal
• Top Lawyers in New York (Highest in Ethical Standards and Professional Excellence) — Showmark Media
• Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyer
• Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
• The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society; and Member of the Trial Law Institute.
• During her tenure as the General Counsel and chief legal officer of a $1B NYSE-listed corporation, The Financial Times choose her legal department as one of the ten most innovative in-house legal teams in North America.
• Member of the New York bar; bars of Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; and US Supreme Court.
• Member of the New York Council of Defense Lawyers
• Member of the Association of former Eastern District federal prosecutors
Contact the Law Offices Laura A. Brevetti to learn more about Ms. Brevetti's White Collar Criminal Defense practice. Based in New York, NY, she serves clients throughout the region.